Week 8 Blog

1. What did you learn this week?

   This week I learned about mutations and how they impact proteins. We also learned about all of the different types of mutations which are insertion, deletion, substitution, and rearrangement. This week was also the last week for our fast plants. We looked at our seeds again and they are still not ready to harvest, but they will be soon!

3. Which parts did you find clear and which were confusing?
    The parts I found clear about genetic mutation were all of the different ways that DNA can be mutated, and how sometimes they can affect a person, and sometimes they can be neutral. One part that I did find confusing however was how exactly changing a base can affect a protein and why. Also, what do the proteins do differently depending on each base? 

4. How can you apply what you've learned to you teaching in the future?
    I can apply what I learned to my teaching in the future because I do want to teach the upper grades of elementary, so this is the kind of stuff that I think is more appropriate for them compared to living/non-living things which might be a little too easy. So, I think I could use activities like the baby activity to help them actually see how different genes can affect how a person looks. 




Comments

  1. Hey Anna! I really liked reading your blog post for the week! I also think its a great idea to incorporate the baby activity in future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna! I really enjoyed the baby activity as well and could totally see it working in the classroom as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna! I also found the part about how exactly changing a base can affect a protein and why. Hopefully, we learn more about this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna! I also thought that how changing a base changes a protein was a little confusing. I understand that it happens, but do not understand why. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts