Week 6 Blog

1. This week we started off by checking on our fast plants which are on day 21. Also with our fast plants, we used dead bees and made bee sticks by poking the bees with a skewer and then rubbing them on the flowers to pollinate them. We also discussed our lesson plans from last week and how they were and were not aligned with the NGSS standards. Last, we learned about sea turtles and how they survive/make it to the ocean by playing a game called "Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out!". 


2. I was able to relate what I learned to what I already knew because I have learned about sea turtles and their journey to the ocean before. There is a movie called The Last Song with Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth (good movie rec btw) and in the movie they save the turtles! I also have learned about pollination before, but I have never actually used bees to do it so that was cool to experience!


4. How I can apply what I have learned to my teaching in the future is that I can use the hands-on activity with the bees to explicitly show how pollination works to my students. I can also use the fortune teller turtle activity because I really like how it makes you get up and moving around, which would be great for students to get a little movement in. 


Comments

  1. Hi Anna! I liked seeing your updated fast plant, it is fun to see how much they grow each week. I loved your connection to the last song movie, I also watched that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! I love the movie recommendation and how it can relate to what we are learning in the classroom. I had also not seen or had a bee pollinate a flower which was very interesting to see

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog post Anna! All the pictures you include are great! I liked how you related our learning to a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anna, great blog post! Crazy coincidence because I also totally thought of "The Last Song" as we were reading the "Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out" story. Additionally, I would also incorporate hands-on learning activities such as using the bees and flowers to demonstrate pollination!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts