Week 5 Blog

1. This week we learned about biomes, ecosystems, and habitats. My group watched a video on whales bubble net fishing and we learned that it is the only place they work together to hunt, there are only about 100 whales that do that, it is in a marine biome, marine ecosystem, and a temperate ocean habitat. We also checked on our fast plants again, which are in day 15 stage. 



2. I am able to relate what I learned to what I already knew because I remember learning about food chains and webs in elementary and middle school biology. Although I already knew about food chains and food webs, it was a nice refresher on each level with them being, primary producer, first level consumer, second level consumer, and third level consumer. I also was reminded that as you move up the food chain, only 10% of the energy is retained each time, so it gets less and less as it goes up. 


4. How I can apply what I learned to my teaching in the future is by doing activities similar to what we did on the jamboard of building a food chain. I remember doing this in elementary school and making a big poster with pictures using magazine cutouts to show the animals and where they fit in the food chain. This can really help students visualize what each level means and be able to differentiate them. 



Comments

  1. Hey Anna! I also thought the food chain activities was a great idea to incorporate into our future classrooms. I remember doing an activity like this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, I also forgot about the fact that only 10% of the energy is retained as you move up the pyramid. It is nice having refreshers on things we haven't talked about for a while

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts