Week 1 Blog

 1. What did you learn this week?

    One thing that I learned this week was about the NGSS. A few things I learned about the NGSS is that the state of Iowa does use these standards in schools, but not all states in the US do. I also learned this week how to read and break down the standards from the tables in order to understand what the students need to learn and work towards. Another topic that we talked about was creating our dream classroom. By doing this, I also learned what my classmates hope for in their classroom, and I got potential inspiration for my future classroom as well!



2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

    Yes, I was definitely able to relate what I learned to what I already knew! One example where I could do this was when we talked about what and how students will learn about science in an elementary classroom. I could do this by thinking about my elementary science experience and what I remember learning and how I learned it. One thing that I remember that helped me in my elementary science learning experience was doing hands on and collaborative projects/experiences. These really helped me stay engaged, so I want to make sure I have this in my future elementary science classroom as well!



5. What are new or remaining questions?

    One question that I thought of during lab is pertaining science kits. As I work at an elementary school right now and think back to my elementary science classes, I always see these boxes of science kits, so I guess I just wonder how it all works. What comes in them, who provides them, and if they are required to use in the classroom? I'm sure it is pretty self explanatory, but I am just curious if we will be learning anything about them in this class.     

Comments

  1. I am not sure how the boxes work but I know from when I was working in an elementary school we received them from Grant Wood. So I would think that you maybe place an order to Grant Wood for a science kit pertaining to whichever standard you are teaching at the time. I remember the butterfly experience and I loved it. I hope to learn things like this in the class so we can then use it in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! I like your question! I do not remember having science kits when I was in elementary school but I think they would be very useful! It would be interesting to find out if they are mandatory and how they decide what come in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anna! I also think science kits are interesting. I wonder if these kits are made through these new generation science standards or through a private company. If that is the case I wonder if it is possible for science kits to be made from these standards. I also think these kits should be mandatory because they are such a good way for students to understand the content.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts