Week 9 Blog

1. What did you learn this week?

    This week, I learned about natural selection and how population relates to it. Natural selection helps us make predictions about how population can change over time and also leads to dominance of certain traits in a population. This was shown in our activity that we did in lab which I will elaborate more on later in this blog. 

2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
    Yes, I was definitely able to relate what I learned to what I already knew because I knew about natural selection from a class in high school. In high school we did an activity kind of like the panther hunt that we did in lecture. 


4. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
    I can apply what I have learned to my teaching in the future by doing activities like we did in lecture and lab in my classroom to teach about natural selection. In class we did an activity with beans where we each were a different kind of predator, and each round we cut out the predator that got the least amount of prey. Ultimately the dominant predator took over and our whole table changed to it. I think this would be a great activity to use in my future classroom to represent natural selection. 





Comments

  1. I liked the diagram of the panther game that you provided I forgot about it until I saw this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! I also want to do activities like the ones we did in lecture and lab this week. I think they are great ways to engage the students and help them to learn in a way that is enjoyable for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna! I loved the photo you added of the bean activity. I also remember doing these kids of activities in high school! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna! I liked your connection between this activity and the Panther Hunt activity, because I actually did the Panther Hunt activity in two different classes this month, so I'm starting to see different ways to apply hands-on activities for kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts